A selection of Chelsea fans expressed their delight over Jorginho’s display during the 1-0 defeat to Porto in the second leg of their Champions League quarter-final.
The Blues struggled in front of goal last night with just one shot on target, and they ended up losing after a stunning overhead kick from Mehdi Taremi in the 93rd minute.
Despite the result, they qualified for the last four of the competition for the first time in seven years. They won on aggregate after the 2-0 triumph in the first leg.
Christian Pulisic, who bagged a brace against Crystal Palace last weekend, produced another lively performance in Seville, but Jorginho also earned plaudits from some supporters.
The Italian midfielder dominated the proceedings with a sublime tally of eight tackles, four clearances, two interceptions alongside one blocked shot.
A few of the club’s faithful were delighted with his showing and heaped praise on him on Twitter. Here are some of the reactions.
Credit to Jorginho. He was outstanding tonight. My MOTM 👏 pic.twitter.com/NjU28HPEtu
— CFC-Blues (@CFCBlues_com) April 13, 2021
I love being proved wrong.
Jorginho fought well tonight, absolutely top class performance. pic.twitter.com/m318Ivm3OY
— The Score (@TheScore01) April 13, 2021
Jorginho deserves respect.
— FutbolChelsea (@FutbolCheIsea) April 13, 2021
Back-to-back MOTM worthy performances in the Champions League quarterfinals from Jorginho.
— LDN (@LDNFootbalI) April 13, 2021
Jorginho, Pulisic and Kante had big performances but Jorginho is my man of the match. He was huge for us in many phases of the game.
— Vince™ (@Blue_Footy) April 13, 2021
Jorginho has received his fair share of criticism this season, and some of it has been warranted. He was definitely poor in the shock 5-2 defeat to West Bromwich Albion this month.
The 29-year-old has redeemed himself with two solid performances against Palace and Porto and is slowly emerging as an undisputed starter in the centre of the park under Thomas Tuchel.
He looks set to partner N’Golo Kante in Saturday’s late Premier League kick-off against Manchester City, with Mateo Kovacic ruled out of the game after picking up a hamstring injury in training this week.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Chelsea News
- Chelsea’s next five matches after the international break
- Comeback Continues – How Chelsea Can Overcome Rampant Newcastle
- Preview: Chelsea vs Aston Villa – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Chelsea confirm Romeo Lavia signing from Southampton
- Chelsea 2023/24: Can the Blues make a flying start to the Premier League season?
- Chelsea must seal blockbuster deals as Pochettino wants Brighton duo
- Chelsea in July: Four pre-season friendlies as Pochettino looks to make a huge comeback next term
- Chelsea’s search for a striker continues this summer
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Chelsea in Manchester – Can Lampard get any points from the next two games?