A section of Chelsea fans were critical of Jorginho’s performance during the embarrassing 5-2 Premier League defeat to West Bromwich Albion at home on Saturday.
The Blues managed to open the scoring in the 27th minute through Christian Pulisic, who pounced on a rebound from a Marcos Alonso free-kick that hit the woodwork.
Just a few minutes later, Thiago Silva received his marching orders for a second yellow card after a needless lunge that made the slightest of contact with Matheus Pereira.
Silva had been booked for fouling Pereira earlier in the game, and Jorginho was partly at fault for gifting possession with poor back passes in both instances.
The Blues eventually conceded as Pereira scored with a superb lob over Edouard Mendy in first-half injury time after a wonderful long ball from Sam Johnstone.
Before the interval, the visitors doubled the advantage, and Jorginho was in the thick of things again with a back header which Pereira pounced upon to find the back of the net.
Thomas Tuchel’s side eventually succumbed to a disappointing 5-2 deficit on the day, and Jorginho played through 72 minutes before being replaced by Kai Havertz.
Some of the club’s faithful were far from pleased with the Italian’s display and expressed their frustration on Twitter.
I hate to say it, but that’s three Jorginho errors leading to three game-changing moments today.
— LDN (@LDNFootbalI) April 3, 2021
Jorginho costing us the game no two ways about it his worst performance ever
— 🇰🇿 (@branojr) April 3, 2021
If Jorginho was a player named Tammy Abraham, he’d be subbed off at half-time🤷🏻♂️
— ChelseaFCBlogs (@ChelseaFCBlogs_) April 3, 2021
This defeat is on jorginho. Sell him please.
— Bigdaddy Terry (@terry_abiola) April 3, 2021
Very bad game from Jorginho
— The Anjeyo 🇸🇪🇰🇪 (@anj_116_) April 3, 2021
Jorginho has been a regular starter since Tuchel replaced Frank Lampard as the manager in January, and he was recently revealed as the best-performing player in the league in 2021.
However, the 29-year-old had a game to forget against the Baggies, and he will be aiming to redeem himself in the midweek Champions League tie.
The Blues make the trip to Porto for the first leg of the competition’s quarter-final. Jorginho is likely to start with N’Golo Kante doubtful with a hamstring issue.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Chelsea News
- Chelsea confirm Romeo Lavia signing from Southampton
- Chelsea 2023/24: Can the Blues make a flying start to the Premier League season?
- Chelsea must seal blockbuster deals as Pochettino wants Brighton duo
- Chelsea in July: Four pre-season friendlies as Pochettino looks to make a huge comeback next term
- Chelsea’s search for a striker continues this summer
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Chelsea in Manchester – Can Lampard get any points from the next two games?
- Chelsea in May: Blues have five games to avoid the unthinkable
- Preview: Real Madrid vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Chelsea owner plotting to raid Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong in the summer