A section of Chelsea fans were critical of Jorginho’s performance during the embarrassing 5-2 Premier League defeat to West Bromwich Albion at home on Saturday.
The Blues managed to open the scoring in the 27th minute through Christian Pulisic, who pounced on a rebound from a Marcos Alonso free-kick that hit the woodwork.
Just a few minutes later, Thiago Silva received his marching orders for a second yellow card after a needless lunge that made the slightest of contact with Matheus Pereira.
Silva had been booked for fouling Pereira earlier in the game, and Jorginho was partly at fault for gifting possession with poor back passes in both instances.
The Blues eventually conceded as Pereira scored with a superb lob over Edouard Mendy in first-half injury time after a wonderful long ball from Sam Johnstone.
Before the interval, the visitors doubled the advantage, and Jorginho was in the thick of things again with a back header which Pereira pounced upon to find the back of the net.
Thomas Tuchel’s side eventually succumbed to a disappointing 5-2 deficit on the day, and Jorginho played through 72 minutes before being replaced by Kai Havertz.
Some of the club’s faithful were far from pleased with the Italian’s display and expressed their frustration on Twitter.
I hate to say it, but that’s three Jorginho errors leading to three game-changing moments today.
— LDN (@LDNFootbalI) April 3, 2021
Jorginho costing us the game no two ways about it his worst performance ever
— 🇰🇿 (@branojr) April 3, 2021
If Jorginho was a player named Tammy Abraham, he’d be subbed off at half-time🤷🏻♂️
— ChelseaFCBlogs (@ChelseaFCBlogs_) April 3, 2021
This defeat is on jorginho. Sell him please.
— Bigdaddy Terry (@terry_abiola) April 3, 2021
Very bad game from Jorginho
— The Anjeyo 🇸🇪🇰🇪 (@anj_116_) April 3, 2021
Jorginho has been a regular starter since Tuchel replaced Frank Lampard as the manager in January, and he was recently revealed as the best-performing player in the league in 2021.
However, the 29-year-old had a game to forget against the Baggies, and he will be aiming to redeem himself in the midweek Champions League tie.
The Blues make the trip to Porto for the first leg of the competition’s quarter-final. Jorginho is likely to start with N’Golo Kante doubtful with a hamstring issue.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Chelsea News
- Chelsea’s 2022/23 Premier League Fixtures Announced – Key Highlights
- Thomas Tuchel names Matthijs de Ligt his top defensive target
- Chelsea’s Road To FA Cup Final – Can Thomas Tuchel end Liverpool’s quadruple bid?
- Chelsea Week Recap: From Pyrrhic Champions League win to FA Cup semi-final & Transfer updates
- Chelsea Transfer News: Defenders out, Hazard back, Werner-Gnabry swap?
- Chelsea April 2022 Preview: four London derbies awaiting Thomas Tuchel’s side
- Thomas Tuchel Rules Chelsea Out of Premier League Title Race
- Did Chelsea Make Mistake By Sitting Out January Transfer Window?
- Brighton & Hove Albion vs Chelsea: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Thomas Tuchel heaps praise on improving Saul Niguez