Chelsea won their first group stage match of the 2021/22 Champions League in a 1-0 victory against Zenit St. Petersburg. Romelu Lukaku scored a header in the 69th minute of the game on a cross from Cesar Azpilicueta.
The win currently puts the Blues in second place of group H. It was a tough game as Zenit performed better than expected and had numerous chances to score.
Chelsea made a total of four substitutions throughout the game. Kai Havertz in for Hakim Ziyech, Thiago Silva in for Cesar Azpilicueta, Ben Chilwell in for Marcos Alonso, and Ruben Loftus-Cheek in for Mason Mount.
The defense was superb once again for the Blues. Mateo Kovacic is still on red hot form as he controlled the midfield once again.
Mason Mount and Hakim Ziyech had their struggles throughout the first half and early in the second half. Ziyech could not get it going so he was substituted off. Mount eventually picked it up midway through the second half and finished the match well.
The Blues have their three points and will be looking to add three more as they face Juventus in Turin in two weeks.
Latest Chelsea News
- Predictions for the League Cup Final
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Chelsea vs Preston North End – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Everton vs Chelsea – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Chelsea’s next five matches after the international break
- Comeback Continues – How Chelsea Can Overcome Rampant Newcastle
- Preview: Chelsea vs Aston Villa – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Chelsea confirm Romeo Lavia signing from Southampton
- Chelsea 2023/24: Can the Blues make a flying start to the Premier League season?
- Chelsea must seal blockbuster deals as Pochettino wants Brighton duo