The 2022-23 season has been nothing short of a disaster for Chelsea. Despite spending over $600 million on transfers since Todd Boehly took over the club, the West Londoners will now finish outside the top 10.
It is highly embarrassing for the Premier League giants who lifted the Champions League just two years ago. They unceremoniously sacked Thomas Tuchel in September, immediately installing Graham Potter in his place. And though the move seemed to work initially, the Englishman’s appointment ultimately proved to be a huge mistake by the owners.
Under Potter, the Blues suffered one disappointing result after another until he was finally dismissed last month. However, results have further deteriorated after they put Frank Lampard in temporary charge of the club. The former England international has managed to secure only four points from his six Premier League matches, while their 4-0 aggregate Champions League defeat to Real Madrid also came during his reign.
Confidence is likely very low in the Chelsea camp as they face the two Manchester giants in their next two league matches. Can they get any points from these fixtures? We like to think it is unlikely but then, anything can happen in football.
Manchester City are currently enjoying a spectacular run of form as they aim to win the treble of trophies this season. With Arsenal slipping up against Brighton & Hove Albion, it now seems like a case of when, rather than if, the 2022 EPL champions will lift the title again.
City will be crowned as champions if they beat Chelsea on Sunday at the Etihad Stadium. And considering their form, it will likely happen this weekend.
Their bitter rivals Manchester United haven’t been entirely convincing with their performances in recent weeks. But they are still expected to prevail over Frank Lampard’s side at Old Trafford on May 25.
The Red Devils have been brilliant at home this season in the Premier League, winning 13 of their 17 matches and losing only once. They are also fighting for a top-four finish and will likely be highly motivated to pick up full points at the expense of the Blues.
Latest Chelsea News
- Chelsea’s next five matches after the international break
- Comeback Continues – How Chelsea Can Overcome Rampant Newcastle
- Preview: Chelsea vs Aston Villa – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Chelsea confirm Romeo Lavia signing from Southampton
- Chelsea 2023/24: Can the Blues make a flying start to the Premier League season?
- Chelsea must seal blockbuster deals as Pochettino wants Brighton duo
- Chelsea in July: Four pre-season friendlies as Pochettino looks to make a huge comeback next term
- Chelsea’s search for a striker continues this summer
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Chelsea in Manchester – Can Lampard get any points from the next two games?