Chelsea are continuing negotiations to extend the contract of defender Thiago Silva, reputed journalist Fabrizio Romano has reported.
Silva joined the Blues on a free transfer after the expiry of his contract with Paris Saint-Germain following the 2019/2020 Champions League final.
He has since made 21 appearances for the Blues in all competitions and has impressed with his commanding performances and leadership qualities.
The 36-year-old is currently on the sidelines with a hamstring injury, but the Blues are still proceeding with the contract talks.
His current deal expires at the end of the season, but the club have the option to extend his stay for another 12 months by mutual agreement.
Romano has revealed that talks are ongoing between the player and the club, and a final decision could be made in the coming weeks.
Chelsea are still working to extend Thiago Silva’s contract, waiting for the final decision in the coming days/weeks. Meanwhile, AC Milan are “so happy” with Fikayo Tomori impact and performances – the board will decide in May on the €28m buy option. 🔵 #CFC #ACMilan
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) March 19, 2021
Silva is currently on wages of around £110,000-a-week, but the club appears happy to extend his stay beyond this season.
Despite turning 36, the Brazilian has shown no signs of slowing down and has adapted to the demands of English football with relative ease.
After a four-week lay-off with a hamstring injury, he returned to the matchday squad against Everton earlier this month.
However, he subsequently suffered a minor setback in training, and manager Thomas Tuchel recently said that he may return after the international break.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Chelsea News
- Chelsea vs Manchester City: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Chelsea beats Aston Villa in penalties and advances to EFL Cup 4th round
- Chelsea grab three points in group stage game against Zenit
- Chelsea sign Saul minutes before the transfer deadline
- Chelsea nearly sweeps UEFA awards
- Lukaku scores in second Chelsea debut
- Chelsea win the Super Cup
- Chelsea rejects several loan approaches for Broja
- West Ham in talks with Chelsea for Ross Barkley
- Guehi nears a permanent move to Crystal Palace