Chelsea have splashed over £600 million in transfers since Todd Boehly became the owner of the club in May, 2022.
They had a very busy summer transfer window as they brought in the likes of Marc Cucurella, Raheem Sterling, Kalidou Koulibaly and Wesley Fofana in very expensive deals.
However, their spending spree didn’t end in January as they splashed more to sign Mykhailo Mudryk and Enzo Fernandes, with the latter costing them an eye-watering £106m fee.
But it appears they will still chase more high-profile players in the next summer window.
According to SPORT, the Blues owner Todd Boehly is plotting to raid Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong.
N’Golo Kante has been one of their most important players over the years but his fitness has been questioned recently.
The 31-year-old has made only two Premier League appearances this season, with the Frenchman remaining on the sidelines due to a hamstring injury.
With his current deal expiring this summer, Kante’s future in West London looks very uncertain.
The France international could end up penning an extension but the need for a new midfielder still remains high at Stamford Bridge.
They are eyeing a move for Frenkie De Jong but the transfer could be very difficult for the Premier League giants.
The 25-year-old has been at Camp Nou since 2019 when he joined the Blaugrana from Ajax.
He has been one of the most important members of the Spanish team, with over 170 senior appearances to his name.
The Netherlands international is highly rated for his excellent technique, dribbling skills and passing ability. He is regarded as one of the best midfielders in world football.
Will Chelsea be able to secure a deal for De Jong?
The versatile midfielder has been a key member of Xavi’s team this season.
He has been a regular starter, making 33 appearances in all competitions and contributing two goals.
It looks Xavi doesn’t even want to hear they could be willing to sell De Jong.
Meanwhile, the player himself is reportedly content at Barca and doesn’t want to move anywhere else.
Manchester United chased his signature all summer but they failed in their attempts to lure the Dutch footballer to the richest football league.
The Red Devils even agreed a deal with the Catalans but the 25-year-old still ended up staying in Spain.
Will Chelsea fare better than United in their chase of De Jong? They have the finances and are one of the best teams in England.
However, they are unlikely to finish in the top-four this season, meaning they could miss Champions League football for next term.
Without European football to offer, they will find it hard to convince the Netherlands international to join the Blues in the summer.
Latest Chelsea News
- Preview: Chelsea vs Aston Villa – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Chelsea confirm Romeo Lavia signing from Southampton
- Chelsea 2023/24: Can the Blues make a flying start to the Premier League season?
- Chelsea must seal blockbuster deals as Pochettino wants Brighton duo
- Chelsea in July: Four pre-season friendlies as Pochettino looks to make a huge comeback next term
- Chelsea’s search for a striker continues this summer
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Chelsea in Manchester – Can Lampard get any points from the next two games?
- Chelsea in May: Blues have five games to avoid the unthinkable
- Preview: Real Madrid vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups