The Blues have won the Super Cup after losing in their previous three attempts. Chelsea and Villarreal were level 1-1 after regular time. Hakim Ziyech and Gerard Moreno were the two goal scorers.
In the penalty shootout, Kai Havertz missed his penalty. Aïssa Mandi and Raúl Albion were the two Villarreal players to miss their penalty. Kepa Arrizabalaga was the hero of the day, making the winning save on Albiol.
A Super Cup win means the Blues will be participating in the Club World Cup for the first time in a very long time. Also, Chelsea fans will be in good spirits ahead of Romelu Lukaku’s announcement which is expected in a few hours.
Latest Chelsea News
- Chelsea grab three points in group stage game against Zenit
- Chelsea sign Saul minutes before the transfer deadline
- Chelsea nearly sweeps UEFA awards
- Lukaku scores in second Chelsea debut
- Chelsea win the Super Cup
- Chelsea rejects several loan approaches for Broja
- West Ham in talks with Chelsea for Ross Barkley
- Guehi nears a permanent move to Crystal Palace
- Chelsea players return for pre-season training
- Bakayoko is likely to permanently join AC Milan