Chelsea’s need for a new centre-forward is no new story. They have been searching for a reliable goalscorer for years now.
Alvaro Morata, Gonzalo Higuain, Tammy Abraham and Timo Werner all failed to be a success at Stamford Bridge. While more recent signing Romelu Lukaku, who cost them a whopping £97.5 million transfer fee, also endured a torrid spell in London before returning to Inter Milan on loan last summer.
The overage Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang impressed during his short stint at Barcelona but his form dropped off after returning to the Premier League in September last year.
The Gabon international found the back of the net on three occasions only despite playing in 21 games during the 2022-23 campaign.
Attacking midfielder Kai Havertz has scored the most goals for the English club this season with nine strikes to his name.
The Blues need to sign a top-quality striker during the summer transfer window, a Didier Drogba-like figure who consistently delivered goals to be among Chelsea’s all-time top scorers.
The 2021 Champions League winners have been linked with Napoli’s Victor Osimhen and Inter forward Lautaro Martinez.
Osimhen is regarded as one of the best young strikers in the world following his spectacular 2022-23 season when he scored an incredible 31 goals in 39 senior appearances.
However, the West Londoners face competition for the Nigerian with Manchester United very keen on him.
Martinez is another exciting option who is young and a proven goalscorer in the Serie A.
But Inter are expected to demand a prodigious transfer fee for the Argentine whose contract at San Siro will expire in 2026.
Latest Chelsea News
- Predictions for the League Cup Final
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Chelsea vs Preston North End – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Everton vs Chelsea – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Chelsea’s next five matches after the international break
- Comeback Continues – How Chelsea Can Overcome Rampant Newcastle
- Preview: Chelsea vs Aston Villa – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Chelsea confirm Romeo Lavia signing from Southampton
- Chelsea 2023/24: Can the Blues make a flying start to the Premier League season?
- Chelsea must seal blockbuster deals as Pochettino wants Brighton duo