A selection of West Bromwich Albion fans heaped praise on Matheus Pereira following his standout performance against Chelsea in the Premier League.
The Baggies registered a stunning 5-2 triumph over the Blues at Stamford Bridge in today’s early kick-off, and Pereira was hugely instrumental towards the result.
The Midlands outfit went 1-0 behind in the 27th minute but just moments later, Thiago Silva received his marching orders for the Blues after a second yellow card offence.
That gave the Baggies a solid advantage, and they made it count by finding the back of the net twice in first-half stoppage time.
Pereira scored the leveller with a lob over the goalkeeper after a superb first-time touch from a long ball from goalkeeper Sam Johnstone.
A couple of minutes later, the 24-year-old bagged his brace. He showed terrific composure before slotting the ball into the bottom right corner.
In the second half, the Baggies controlled the proceedings to register a 5-2 triumph, and Pereira was the catalyst once again with two assists to his name.
While the Blues were a man down, the Baggies needed to make the opportunity count, and they managed to do so with flying colours.
Pereira has been the club’s most productive player this term, and some fans were delighted after his latest display in west London.
Great performance today by you and the rest of the team boing boing
— Stuart Saunders (@7f39d9e358324da) April 3, 2021
Ignore the haters. You're the king 👑
— Matt (@ByeByeLai) April 3, 2021
Excellent Matheus , well done the whole team . Southampton next .
— Nick Clayton (@Nickcla71) April 3, 2021
I thought magicians had magic wands. Sometimes they wear boots
— gaz crwni (@crwni) April 3, 2021
love you Matheus!! my favourite baggie!!
— Freddy (@wrongsaidfred67) April 3, 2021
The Brazilian has managed 13 goal contributions (eight goals and five assists) this term, and Callum Robinson has been the second-best with just five goals.
The victory over the Blues has provided the Baggies with hope of beating the drop as they are now seven points adrift of 17th-placed Newcastle United, who have a game in hand.
Pereira will have a key role in their relegation fight, and it remains to be seen whether Sam Allardyce’s side can continue in the same vein against Southampton.
The former Sporting Lisbon attacker is likely to attract plenty of interest from other Premier League clubs this summer regardless of the Baggies’ league status.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Chelsea News
- Chelsea confirm Romeo Lavia signing from Southampton
- Chelsea 2023/24: Can the Blues make a flying start to the Premier League season?
- Chelsea must seal blockbuster deals as Pochettino wants Brighton duo
- Chelsea in July: Four pre-season friendlies as Pochettino looks to make a huge comeback next term
- Chelsea’s search for a striker continues this summer
- Preview: Manchester City vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Chelsea in Manchester – Can Lampard get any points from the next two games?
- Chelsea in May: Blues have five games to avoid the unthinkable
- Preview: Real Madrid vs Chelsea – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Chelsea owner plotting to raid Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong in the summer